To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our customers' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

It is a system of pipelines, storage reservoirs, pumping stations, wells & treatment facilities located in Cottonwood, Jackson, Redwood, Murray, Lyon, Martin, Brown, Watonwan, & Nobles counties. It serves farms, rural residences, small towns, and unincorporated communities.

No. Red Rock Rural Water System is a public body organized under Minnesota State Statute 116A.

No. Minnesota has six rural water systems.

There are many reasons, but the most important ones are contaminated or poor quality water supplies, and in some cases, a lack of adequate quantities of water. Water quality is poor or very bad in some cases.

It's not difficult to determine what the cost of hauled water is, but we more easily overlook the all too frequent work done on our present wells and pressure systems. Poor water can shorten the life of pipes, water heaters, and other water-using appliances. Poor water may be causing you the loss of gain on feeder stock.

Troublesome minerals such as iron and manganese will be removed if necessary and other treatment will comply with state and federal health standards for public water supply systems.

We think so. A rural water system means an assured supply of good water. If you choose to continue using your present source for livestock, the rural water system is there to serve you during any period of pump or well failure. The value of your real estate will be enhanced too, by the connection to the system supplying an abundant quantity of quality water.

Most would not do without it. They do not have to worry about staining problems during clothes washing. Bathroom fixtures stay clean. Less soap is used because the water is generally softer than what they had before. Most importantly, they can be assured that the water is safe for cooking and drinking.

Yes. The system is designed to provide water for domestic consumption (that is, within homes) and for livestock consumption. Lawn and garden watering is also permitted.

This is a decision that you will have to make. Users have reported better gains in livestock, fewer problems with scours and other problems that they had encountered previously with poor water supply. New well construction cost, maintenance costs of well and pump, and electrical bills for pumping should also be considered and evaluated.

You will not have to re-pump the water since it will be delivered under pressure. Cisterns or pressurizations units are not required.

No. You may continue to use your own well if you wish. For example, some users may only want the rural water for their homes, but continue to use their existing wells for livestock watering. We must caution you, however, that your private water supply may not be interconnected with the rural water system. This is a Health Department regulation.

Most customers have an Automatic Meter Read (AMR) meter. Through cell phone technology, we automatically read the meter the first business day of each month. The water bill is mailed to the customer in the form of a colored postcard. You can pay your water bill by mailing a check, paying on-line through our website, or enrolling in ACH (automatic withdrawal out of a checking or savings account).

Our engineers tell us that you can use the following year-round daily usage figures:

People - 60 gallons per person

Feeder Cattle - 8 gallons per head

Hogs/Sheep - 3 gallons per head

Poultry - 5 gallons per 100 birds

Dairy Cattle - 12 gallons per head

Please, refer to the Rates and Policies page to view current water rates and potential overage charges/fees. 

A $500.00 Membership Fee which is used to defray the cost for a feasibility study and engineering fees. It will be the only cost to you until construction is completed. Our current minimum hook-up charge is $18,000.00. This may increase with extra construction requirements. Please call the office at 507-628-4201 with property location to determine feasibility and for a free cost estimate.

The assessment stays with the property.

Contact the Red Rock Rural Water office at (507)-628-4201.

Yes. Ideally, the pipe is installed in private easement. If the lines are placed on private property, we will not have to be responsible for the cost of moving the pipelines if roads are widened or improved.

Some of the reasons are lack of adequate room to work, other buried utilities such as telephone line, wet areas, driveways, culverts, etc. It is also more diffficult for the Contractor to properly reshape a ditch after construction.

The normal easement widths are thirty feet. However, the contractor will generally disturb no more than twenty feet of crop land during construction. The contractor is normally held responsible for crop damager outside the easement.

Yes. The contractor is required to repair fences and tile lines to equal or better condition.

If you are not using water you can request to have your water service turned off. We ask that you contact us 48 hours in advance to set up a service call for winterizing your meter or having your servie reconnected. There is no charge for this service call. You are responsible for paying the minimum charge per month even if your water service is disconnected and you are not using any water.

Monthly water usage payments are due by the 15th and will be considered delinquent if the payment is not received or postmarked by the 15th of each month. If payment is not received or postmarked by the due date, a $10.00 late charge will be added to the total due. If payment and late charge are not received within 14 days of due date, a disconnect notice will be sent. This will be the only notification given in advance of the service being disconnected 30 days after the disconnect notice is sent. To avoid disconnection, delinquent month, current month and late charges must be paid in full.


Reconnect Policy:  If payment in full is not received after the 30 days notice of disconnection, a $60.00 reconnect charge will be added to the total due. All monthly charges, late charges, and reconnect charge must be paid in full prior to reconnection of water service. If you claim that the charges are not properly due and payable, you may request a hearing in writing before expiration of the 30 days.